Celebrating a birthday is special, and a greeting card is a great way to express your wishes for the day. After choosing the perfect card, a personal message is the icing on the cake. Here are some tips for those times when you just aren’t sure what to write.
It doesn’t need to be long, just sincere!
A short, heartfelt message beats a half-hearted novel any day of the week. Showing someone you care, can sometimes take as little as a few of the right words.
Make it personal.
Consider how close your relationship is. If it’s a family member or dear friend, give an example of how special they are to you, like “Friends like you are one in a million” before including your birthday wishes.
If you know what this person has planned for their birthday, you can reference the event, like “I hope your celebration today gives you memories to treasure always!” You can also thank them for letting you be a part of it.
You could write sincere words that will fit any relationship, and including a compliment is always appreciated. For example, “May your birthday be as special as you are!” or, “Wishing you all the happiness someone as nice as you deserves!”
Sprinkle in some inspiration.
For an added touch of thoughtfulness, consider including a great quote. Something you’ve come across personally, like from your favourite book, would be ideal. But you can also easily find something on one of many quotation websites.
• You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. – C.S. Lewis
• We turn not older with years, but newer every day. – Emily Dickinson
• A true friend is someone who knows all about you and likes you just the same. – Elbert Hubbard
• Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves. – Sir James Barrie
• A friend is, as it were, a second self. – Cicero
• Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! – Henry David Thoreau
• Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together. – Woodrow Wilson
Wrap it up.
Keep in mind that a warm closing will bring an extra smile for the birthday person. Consider phrases such as Thinking of You Today, Love Always, or Your Friend. Use a coloured pen for a bit of fun and of course, don’t forget to sign your name!